Content Without The Clutter
There's still too much damn content out there, or should I say too much clutter to find the content I want. I love the idea of syndication, but I still have to shuffle through a bunch of junk that I dont want to view (or already have) in order to get to what I want. The net still needs to move towards providing relative content to individuals. This could be accomplished with subfeeds labeled with categories (such as digg does: http://digg.com/rss/indexapple.xml). You could summarize the most popular articles as well, as is done in the "Diggnation" project. Or have your friends (in whom you most likely have common interests with) share what they've found interesting (as you see in personal blogs and social networking sites).
What are TV programs going to look like in 10 years? A lot of my generation already gets most of their news from the internet (whether by RSS feeds, portal sites, etc, or simply surfing). Podcasts (especially video) are catching on more and more. Yet, it's still so much more convenient to turn on a TV station, and flip through the channels.
But I think we are getting there... we're moving toward something where you could kick back on your favorite piece of furniture and view the content you want on whatever medium you want, with whatever custom input device you'd like to control it with. All this while getting delivered only the content that you want (and WHEN you want). Once you add metadata & functionality to that content: saving [organizing], labeling [tagging], starring [bookmarking], sharing, etc (as is currently done in google reader), you're just about done.
All thats left is figuring out your favorite method to view the content. It might be a digital reader for text / articles, or a really big screen for videos. A nice digital picture frame rotating your / your friends pictures off the internet would make a nice edition to any digital home.
I can envision a living room where I'd go kick back on the lazyboy, flip on the 80" boob tube ($10K doesnt just buy you a nice set sweetheart), and tune in to a buddy's shared video station... showing the hi-def recordings of his latest snowboard trip... then tune into my latest home business blog on my digital newspaper. Now where's that damn robot with my filet mignon?
Labels: technology


for this post
Leave a Reply